Seven years ago when I created this blog I was pregnant with Mason. I had NO idea what I was doing I just knew that I wanted to be able to keep my family up to date on everything that was going on in my life now that I was living in Virginia and they were all living in NY. When I first started my blog I was writing for myself and for them. It was more like a journal than anything else. I quickly found other family style blogs but it took me months to find some more professional bloggers. Bloggers who were doing reviews and giveaways, bloggers who were working with brands, influencers. Bloggers who had to plan their posts, schedule their days, bloggers who were making a living!
I quickly realized that I wanted to do that, I wanted to plan my upcoming days for my kitchen table with a cup of coffee or a glass of Wente Wine. Who doesn’t want that luxury? So the journey of this blog began. I’ll be honest with you, I had NO idea what I was doing. I was winging it, I was listening to the advice of those who had gone before me, I was constantly learning new things. Hindsight is always 20/20 and knowing what I know now, with what blogging has become today I do have some tips for anyone looking to start a blog.
- Pick a Niche. I’ve always been a bit anti-niche but your blog has to have some direction, a purpose. Before you start your blog think about the areas you want to focus on and share about.
- Design Matters. Never judge a book by its cover, right? Right! But we all know that it happens ALL the time. When you’re starting a blog put your best foot forward. Pick a clean design that’s easy to navigate.
- Social Media is King. Social Media and your blog go hand in hand. There are about a million and one social media sites out there it seems. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat, Pinterest, Periscope and the list goes on. My number one tip is to pick 3-4 max and rock those. Pick the social media platform that speaks to you. Share authentically.
- Share. Share. Share. So you just wrote your first blog post. You’re anxiously refreshing your google analytics page and that “page views” section isn’t going up. I’ll give you a hint as to why it’s not going anywhere, you haven’t shared. That was one of my biggest mistakes when I first started. When you first start your blog and throughout the life of your blog sharing is crucial. Put yourself out there. Push your posts to your favorite social media.
- Network & Connect. One of my favorite things about blogging is all the people that I’ve met throughout my blogging life. Your fellow bloggers can offer a wealth of knowledge about the blogging world and the friendships you’ll make along the way can be life long. Not only do your fellow bloggers have a ton of knowledge to share but so many are willing to help. Exchanging tweets and sharing each other’s content can open your blog to a new set of readers.
- Never Stop Learning. Read other blogs, keep up to date on current design trends, know what’s new in social media, whatever you do don’t stop learning. As bloggers we live in an ever-changing field where technology and the wants and needs of brands can change on what seems like a daily basis. Make sure you’re in the loop.
When I was in college I never thought that my “job” would be a blog. In fact my senior year in college I had enrolled in a blogging class and I dropped it. “Who needs blogging?” I said. Turns out the answer to that question was me. The last seven years have been an amazing journey for me. One where I get to work from home, spend time with my kids, meet people I never would have met and go on amazing adventures.
My favorite part about being on this journey is without a doubt being my own boss. Having the ability schedule my work around my life and not the other way around. To enjoy my friends and family while also doing the job that I love. Blessed doesn’t even begin to explain it.
When you can combine doing what you love with spending time with your family you know you’ve found what you’re suppose to be doing in life.
Where are you in your journey of following your path in life? Where do you want to be a year from now? Three years from now? Five years from now?
Wherever you are right now, wherever you want to be just remember it’s all about the love of the journey.