One of my best friends is Vegan, or at the very least she strives for it, sometimes the deliciousness of cheese pulls her in. For some reason I always struggle to think of something to make for her when she comes over. My go-to is just wanting to make a salad and more often than not she just brings whatever she wants to eat (like when we’re grilling she brings veggies burgers) but with more and more of my friends having dietary restrictions I decided it was high time that I learned how to make some yummy meals for my favorite friends!
Last year I made a pumpkin mac and cheese that was so amazing I could barely understand why every single time people made mac and cheese they didn’t put pumpkin in it so when I decided that I wanted to make comfort food on a rainy day for a Vegan friend I figured I’d have to introduce her to Pumpkin Mac & Cheese–just a Vegan version.
Not Vegan? Don’t run away just yet! I’m not Vegan and I can tell you this Pumpkin Mac & Cheese is STILL delicious. Not only is it delicious but it’s also low in calories and fat in large part due to the Silk Cashew Milk I used as the base. It’s a great non-dairy alternative.
I wasn’t the only one who liked it, Kyla devoured it as did another non-Vegan friend. Best of all? My VEGAN friend tried it and gave it two thumbs up! That’s a win in my book!
She was super intrigued by the Cashew Milk as the base. Neither one of us had tried it before but we’re both really excited about the possibilities. I think my next venture will involve a smoothie or a breakfast muffin! Mason is also a huge fan and drinks it by the glassful. Both the kids have had it in their cereals and they like that as well! Looks like I’m raising a little people who like non-dairy milk options. That’s another win for me since it opens up my options.
Do you want to learn more about how you can use Cashew Milk in your favorite recipes? Follow the Silk Cashew Recipe Board on Pinterest and Be sure to sign up for the Silk eNewsletter and follow them on Facebook.
- Cook 1lb pasta according to package directions and personal preference. When the pasta is done drain and set aside.
- In a large pot bring 2 cups unsweetened Silk Cashew Milk, 1 tbs lemon juice, and 1 tbs flour to a boil whisking frequently.
- Once the mixture has begun to thicken add 3/4 cup pumpkin puree, 1/2 tsp sage and 1/4 tsp nutmeg.
- Whisk together until smooth (a hand immersion blender works great here) then add 1/2 cup nutritional yeast. Whisk together until the nutritional yeast has "melted".
- Add the pasta to your sauce and thoroughly coat the pasta.
- Serve Immediately.
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.