The last of the Zucchini is at my Farmer’s Market and I’m trying to take advantage. I love Zucchini. It’s one of my favorite vegetables and I wish I could get it fresh every day of year. Apparently I need to move to California so I can have fresh Lemon Pepper Zucchini Soup and this Zucchini & Kale Turkey Casserole.
I first had this at a potluck and I immediately went home and begged for the recipe. It was too yummy not to recreate in our own home. We switched it up a little (Ground Turkey instead of Ground Beef). I was thisclose to switching out the Kale for spinach but didn’t. Kale is so good for you and it totally takes on the taste of everything else in the casserole!
Everything is cooked before going into the casserole dish so as with most casseroles. You want to start by cooking the ground turkey with the onions and garlic. In a separate pot you will steam your zucchini that has been cut into 1/4-1/2 inch coins. In another pan you will make your sauce (more details in the directions below). Then in the it’s time for the layering! For this casserole I’m using a 9×11 glass dish.
Start by layering half of your Kale on the bottom of the pain. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and olive oil.
Next layer your cooked ground turkey, onion and garlic.
Layer on 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and 1/2 of your cheese sauce.
Layer the rest of your kale and zucchini coins. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Spread the rest of your cheese sauce, the rest of your Mozzarella and then the Parmesan.
Bake for 30 minutes covered and 10 minutes covered at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or until the cheese on top is bubbly and browning.
This tastes delicious fresh out of the oven and even better it seemed, reheated for left overs. It’s easily become a family favorite that we will make again and again!
- Dice 1 medium yellow onion and 3 cloves garlic (or 1 tablespoon jarred minced garlic).
- Steam 2 medium sized Zucchinis that have been sliced to 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
- While the Zucchini is steaming cook 1lb ground turkey, onion and garlic in a large skillet.
- While the Zucchini and Turkey are cooking in a large pan melt 1/4 cup butter and stir in 1/4 cup flour to thicken the sauce. Add 2 cups of milk, 1/2 cup at a time. Bring to boil and whisk thoroughly to get desired consistency which should be creamy and thick not water.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste, 1/2 tablespoon Rosemary and 1 bay leaf (remove when sauce is finished).
- In a 9x11 Casserole Dish line the bottom with chopped kale season with salt, pepper and a little olive oil.
- Bake at 350 for 30 min covered and 10 min uncovered.
- Serve Immediately.