Hi my name is Christa and I have an addiction.
Specifically Target Clearance. So every time there is a holiday the day after you can find me at Target browsing through their holiday clearance item seeing what I can get. I’m usually on the lookout for baking items. Last year after Valentine’s Day I got a heart shaped doughnut pan. I was so excited to use it.
As excited as I was the first time I used them was yesterday! In my defense there aren’t many occasions were you need heart shaped doughnuts! Yesterday was a snow day so it seemed like the perfect day to bake and bake I did. Hazelnut Doughnuts to be exact. Mr. Mason man helped, he was so excited to use the mini doughnut maker we had recently got so we did half heart doughnuts and half mini round doughnuts.
These doughnuts were easy to make, just as easy to make as any cake or cupcake recipe. But the batter is a little different than what you would expect of a cake mix. Instead it’s thick and sticky. And kind of a pain in the butt to put in the pans which is why I highly suggest putting the batter into a plastic baggy and then snipping of the end and squeezing the dough out that way. I didn’t do this because I wasn’t thinking and I wish I did. It will save you time, trust me!
Because I’m crazy like that instead of regular milk I used Hazelnut creamer. I topped these off with a Hazelnut glaze and Valentine’s Day sprinkles.
- In a large bowl whisk together 1/2 cup butter + 2 tablespoons softened butter and 1 cup sugar.
- Add two eggs, one at a time until combined well.
- Whisk in 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- In a separate bowl sift together 3 cups flour, 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar and butter mixture.
- Whisk in the milk.
- Scoop the doughnut batter into a plastic bag and then snip off the corner. Fill the doughnut cavities about 3/4 of the way and bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes.
- While the doughnuts are baking whisk together 2 cups powdered sugar, 4 tablespoons hazelnut creamer, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- After the doughnuts have cooled dip them in the glaze, let the extra drip off, place them on a plate and add sprinkles. Let them glaze set before serving.
To make the glaze set quicker I placed them in the fridge for 5 minutes!