Disclosure: I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting (#MC) for RadioShack. I received a gift card to facilitate a shopping trip and promotional item as a thank you for participating.
In less than 48 hours it will officially be Black Friday but this year it seems like everything is starting a whole day sooner. Some even started today! Before I had kids I would go out on Black Friday but this year I’m staying home with my family. It’s possible that I may go out later in the day after most die hard Black Friday shoppers have gone home but I’m not entirely sure.
Now. For Cyber Monday? I’ll be glued to my computer with my hand on the mouse read to click, click, click and buy, buy, buy. But I do have some serious rules that I follow in order to help me get everything I need for less AND save money!
1. Make a List. Write down every single person you need to buy for. Including a couple of generic things like “host gift” or “thank you gift”. Jot down ideas of what you may possibly want to get for that person, things they like, what you know they want etc.
A reader who is a Black Friday shopping expert says
“I have a Google spreadsheet for “us” and “everyone else” that has who I’m shopping for, my price point, ideas/what size they are/etc, what I’ve actually purchased, and I highlight the column once I’ve “completed” that person, so I can see exactly who I have to shop for.” –Kelli
2. Browse the deals. SO many stores let you know what’s going on sale a head of time with flyers they hand out in stores and online. Take the items that are on sale and add them to your list next to the person they would be best for!
3. Cross Check. Are you really saving a lot? Enough to make it worth fighting the crowds or spending money you might not have at this point in time?
4. When you can, avoid the stores! Why? Fighting people for the best deals kinda stinks especially when so many stores start their online! For example RadioShack is opening their stores at 8am November 29th for Black Friday but their online deals are starting on Thanksgiving Day where you can get up ot 80% off!
5. Keep all of your receipts/invoices together and in a safe place! Sometimes things drop in price again between now & the holidays, so it makes returns/price matching/etc easier.–Another great tip from Kelli!
Bonus Tip: If you do head to the stores make sure that you stay well hydrated and well fed. Kelli suggests bring water bottles with you and protein bars because “grumpy shoppers make impluse buyers!”
So, What’s on your list?
A new camera lens like this EF 50mm Macro Lens is at the top of my list!
This post was inspired by RadioShack and their Name Your Deal promotion! This year RadioShack gave it’s shoppers the power to “Name Your Deal”. Shoppers were able to vote on a preexisting deal or pick the product and discount that they would most like to see coupons for! Starting tomorrow November 27th you can head to RadioShack to see which deals received the most votes and try to be the first to grab the coupon code for the hot deal! RadioShack is also doing a Cyber Monday (my personal favorite) on RadioShack.com which will begin December 2nd at 12am.