The other day I went to the Farmer’s Market and got a GIGANTIC bag of Zucchini and Squash. It must have weighed like 10lbs if not more. Check it out:
I knew immediately that I was going to chop and freeze most of it but with a bag that big it got old real quick I started thinking of other things I could do when I came across this recipe from Life’s Ambrosia. It sounded delicious but I knew I had to switch things up a bit! So here’s my version of Zucchini Cakes.
First off I just want to put a tiny disclosure and say that my Zucchini was VERY large yours will most likely not be this large. I scaled down the amounts that I specifically used for this exact reason. To give you an idea of what I mean this was the Zucchini I used!
Okay so this picture isn’t very impressive on how huge it is. Perhaps I should have put it on a scale. Hindsight is always 20/20. Anyway….
First step? Grate the zucchini. I used my food processor to grate the Zucchini. Then you want to combine the grated Zucchini, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1 cup Italian Bread Crumbs, 1 tbs Lemon Pepper Seasoning, 1 clove of garlic, 1 egg, and salt to taste.
On medium to high heat begin heating 1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Once it’s hot make balls from the Zucchini Mixture. Put the ball in the pan and press down flat.
Cook for 7-10 minutes on each side. I preferred mine crispy in case you can’t tell
Pat down to remove an excess oil and then, devour.
These were SO yummy, I had to stop myself from eating them all, luckily I managed not to an I froze most of them for later (freezing directions below). My favorite way to reheat them is on the grill!
- 1. Using your food processor or a grater grate the Zucchini and remove the excess water.
- 2. Combine the grated Zucchini, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1 cup Italian Bread Crumbs, 1 tbs Lemon Pepper Seasoning, 1 clove of garlic, 1 egg, salt and pepper to taste.
- 3. Turn your stove on med-high heat using 1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to to coat the bottom of the pan.
- 4. Using your hands create small balls with the mixture. Place it on the hot pan and press down using a spatula to create a circle.
- 5. Cook on each side for 7-10 minutes or until browned. Repeat until you have no remaining mixture.
- 6. Enjoy!
- Freezing Instructions: Follow Directions 1-5. Let cool. Once cool place in a Freezer bag. Reheat in the microwave for approximately 1 min. Other options including cooking it on the stove until warmed through, popping it into the toaster oven until warmed through (about 5 minutes at 350) or my favorite so far GRILLING IT!