It’s getting closer and closer to County Fair time around here. It’s one of my favorite things to do during the summer. It’s quite the experience for me. I’ve been to Carnivals and fairs before at home but it is NOTHING like a COUNTRY County Fair.
They show animals, y’all. I thought that was only in the movies!
Combine my love for the fair, all things fried and a recent hankering for donuts I knew I need to make some.
I decided quickly that I didn’t have the patience to try and make donuts. I mean it can easily be done but it’s not as easy as just making yummy little balls of donut dough, deep frying it and coating it in powdered sugar.
It’s not quite a donut but it’s not quite fried dough either. It’s something uniquely it’s own and absolutely delicious.
Try it yourself 🙂
First start out by creaming together 2 1/2 tablespoons of butter with 1 cup of sugar
Then add 3 eggs
Then add 1 cup of International Delight Vanilla Iced Coffee.
In a separate large bowl combine 4 cups of sifted flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon and 4 teaspoons of baking powder
Add the liquid mixture to do the dry ingredients and combine
Let sit for 5-10 minutes. While the dough is sitting heat vegetable oil on medium to high heat in a large pan. You should have enough oil to were your pan is filled to a little under half way. This is because as the dough cooks it expands and you want to make sure it cooks as evenly as possible.
This is where I fail with taking pictures. I was so busy frying the donuts that I forgot to take a PICTURE of me frying the donuts. Once the oil is hot enough (I test by wetting my hand and flicking it into the water, if it pops a lot I know it’s ready), take teaspoon size balls of dough and drop it into the batter. It will seem really small but like I mentioned again it expands. If the balls get a little bigger that’s okay too. It’s not an exact science!
Cook on each side for about 4 minutes. Drain on a paper towel and then toss in powdered sugar. Personally I love these served warm but because they’re donuts and not just regular ole dough they’re good cold too. You can reheat by popping in the microwave for 1 minute and tossing in powdered sugar again!
This is a pretty big batch so be prepared to share 🙂
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup sugar and 2 1/2 tablespoons butter.
- Add 3 eggs and blend, then add 1 cup of International Delight Vanilla Iced Coffee.
- In separate, large bowl, combine 4 cups sifted flour, 4 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and beat. Once all ingredients are mixed together let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- While the dough is sitting heat up your oil on in a saucepan on medium to high heat.
- Once the oil is ready drop teaspoon size balls of dough into the oil. Fry on each side for approximately 4 minutes or until each side is golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towel and toss in powdered sugar.