For years I would hear “carrot cake” and get really grossed out. Which is odd because I LOVE carrots but I couldn’t imagine eating them in cake. It just seemed really gross to me.
And then I tried it.
YEARS! Years, I denied myself the yumminess of eating carrot cake! But no more. Now whenever I get the chance to eat some carrot cake I’m all over it. So now with Spring here and Easter right around the corner I just need I had to make Carrot Cupcakes.
P.S. In case you haven’t noticed I never make the full cake, only cupcakes. Why? Because you can totally justify eating two cupcakes because they’re LITTLE but two slices of cake? Oh no fatty, that’s too much
Here we go:
This recipe is super simple! Start by washing, peeling and grating 2 cups of loosely packed carrots and set aside. Then mix 3 eggs, 1/2 cup oil, 2 cups sugar and 1 tablespoon of vanilla in a bowl:
Mix it up!!
In a smaller bowl combine 2 cups of flour, 2 tsp of Baking Soda, 1 tsp of Salt and 2 tsp of Cinnamon.
Set the dry ingredients aside. If you don’t have buttermilk combine 1 cup of lowfat milk and 2 tsp of vinegar. Let sit about five minutes until it gets lumpy. When it’s ready add it to the sugar/egg mixture!
Next add the dry ingredients to the mix!
Then add the 2 cups of loosely packed shredded carrots!
Mix it up!
Line your cupcake pans and fill with the carrot cake mixture about 3/4 of the way.
Pop the cupcakes in the oven for 18-20 minutes at 350 degrees.
While the cupcakes are baking prepare the frosting. Combine 8oz cream cheese, 3-4 tablespoons of milk or whipping cream, 2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup butter. and 4-6 cups of powdered sugar. This is a double batch you should have more than enough to fill your cupcakes, frost them AND lick the spoon a million times
The cupcakes should be just about done now. When they are plae them on cooling racks and let them cool for about 10 minutes.
Next using the end of wooden spoon create holes in the center of the cupcake.
Using a piping bag, fill the center of the cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting and continue piping around the cupcake!
Finally add your favorite Easter sprinkles!
And most importantly, ENJOY!!
1/2 Cup Oil
2 Cups of Sugar
1 Tablespoon Vanilla
2 Cups Flour
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 Cup Buttermilk (or 1 cup milk mixed with 2 tsp of Vinegar)
2-4 Carrots (2 loose cups)
For the Frosting:
8oz cream cheese
3-4 tablespoons of milk or whipping cream
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup butter
4-6 cups of powdered sugar
1. Set your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grate 2-4 carrots so that you have 2 loosely packed cups. Set aside
3. If you don’t have Buttermilk take 1 cup of milk and mix it with 2 tsp of Vinegar and set aside.
4. Mix 1/2 Cup oil, 2 cups of Sugar, 3 Eggs and 1 tablespoon of Vanilla in a large bowl.
5. In a smaller bowl combine 2 cups of flour, 2 tsps of baking soda, 1 tsp salt and 2 tsp of Cinnamon.
6. Add the buttermilk to the Sugar/Egg mix. Then gradually add in the flour mixture. Next add the buttermilk and carrots mix until everything is well incorporated.
7. Line your cupcake pans and fill them with the mix about 3/4 of the way up. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
8. While the cupcakes are baking prepare the frosting. Combine 8oz cream cheese, 3-4 tablespoons of milk or whipping cream, 2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup butter. and 4-6 cups of powdered sugar. This is a double batch you should have more than enough to fill your cupcakes, frost them AND lick the spoon a million times
9. Take the cupcakes out of the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Using the bottom of a wooden spoon poke holes in the center of the cupcake.
10. Using a piping bag fill the center of the cupcakes and continue around the cupcake. Top with Easter/Spring Sprinkles!