Recipe posts have been MIA lately, don’t know why? You must have missed this post.
With Mason I craved sweets like a manic. With this baby not as much but baking is still very calming for me and I love making stuff that B and Mase enjoy so when my July Moms group started talking about Banana bread, I started thinking about how I need to get some Bananas and then fate stepped in. Two days after talking about Banana Bread in my July 2012 Moms group My neighbor who works at a local school stopped by with a bag full of over ripe bananas that the school was throwing away (don’t even get me started on the fact that they through away the over ripe bananas instead of doing something like making banana bread or donating to a local food shelter). Any way, that was that, it was FATE for me to make Banana Bread!
I switched things up to make *my perfect banana bread* of course!
The first step is to take 6 over ripe bananas and mash them:
Next combine 1 cup white sugar, 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup shortening in a large bowl.
Add each egg one at a time beating after each addition!
After adding each egg one at a time add the two tablespoons of mayonnaise and combine
Then add one tablespoon of vanilla!
In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
Mix the dry ingredients together and then slowly add it to the banana mixture
Then get the cutest toddler you know to help you mix in the chocolate chips!
I wanted to make both bread and muffins so I greased a loaf pan AND a muffin pan and added batter to both
Pop in the oven at 350 degrees for 50-75 minutes for the loaf pan and 20-25 minutes for the muffins!
To check if it’s done insert a tooth pick into the middle, if it comes out clean you’re good to go!
They were SO yummy, Mason and B were huge fans too!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan. Grease another one OR do what I did and grease a muffin pan to make Banana bread muffins as well as Banana bread.
- Mash 6 ripe bananas and set aside.
- Mix together the shortening and sugars until its very well incorporated. One at a time add the eggs. Then add the mayonnaise, the mashed bananas and the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Then add the flour mixture to the banana mixture until everything is combined. Next fold in the chocolate chips being careful not to over mix.
- Bake at 350 degrees until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 50 to 75 minutes. For the loaf this should take about 50-75 minutes. For the muffins it should take about 20.