Pumpkin, Pumpkin, Pumpkin, I’ve been living, breathing and dreaming about Pumpkin over the last week or so. After I got the Pie Pumpkins and made my own Pumpkin Puree I was left with OVER 40 ounces of Pumpkin Puree.
Could I have canned it? Yes.
Should I have canned it? Yes.
Did I can it? No.
Instead I decided to have a Pumpkin Baking Fest. The first thing I made? Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins. The second thing I made? Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Brownies (Recipe coming soon). The third thing I made? Pumpkin Pie with a Candied Pecan Topping. I made something very similar to it last year for Thanksgiving and the boys went wild for it, I even made it twice that week!
So this year I decided I’d make it again BUT I’d make it even better by pureeing my own fresh pumpkin and tweaking the recipe and now that it’s gotten the approval from my official Pie taster (that’s B) I’m sharing it with you! Start off by making some super flaky pie crust and transferring your pie dough to your pie plate, refrigerate until ready to use which will be soon!
First whisk 2 large eggs in a large bowl
Then add 2 1/2 cups of fresh pumpkin puree
Then add 1 teaspoon of vanilla
and 1 (12oz) can of condensed milk
Whisk it up and then add 3/4 cup brown sugar
Whisk it up and then start adding the rest of the dry ingredients–1/4 teaspoon salt
and then 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Then add 1/2 teaspoon ginger
A 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
A 1/4 teaspoon cloves
and a 1/4 teaspoon all spice
Whisk it up!
And gently poor it into your pie crust
cover the edges of your pie crust with tin foil
Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes and then lower the heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 40 minutes.
While the pie is baking prepare the Pecan topping by using a food processor to dice 4oz of candied pecans. Then combine the pecans with 2 tablespoons of butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar
Use a pastry blender until it looks like this:
Once the pie has been in the oven for a total of 50 minutes (first 10 minutes at 450 then 40 minutes at 350) take out the pie and add the topping.
Bake for another 10 minutes or until the pie is set and the topping is bubbly!
- Whisk 2 large eggs in a large bowl. Add 2 1/2 cups of fresh pumpkin puree and whisk.
- Next add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 12oz can of condensed milk to the pumpkin and egg mixture.
- Once that is combined add 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar, 1 teaspoon Cinnamon, 1/4 Teaspoon Salt, 1/4 Teaspoon Ginger, 1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg , 1/4 Teaspoon Cloves, and 1/4 Teaspoon All Spice.
- Carefully pour your mixture into the pie crust (it will be runny).
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees, then lower the heat to 350 and continue to bake for an additional 40 minutes.
- While the pie is baking, using your food processor chop up 1/2 a cup of candied pecans into small pieces. Combine with 2 tablespoons of softened butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar using a pastry cutter. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use!
- Once your pie has been baking for a combined 50 minutes take your pie out of the oven and sprinkle the topping over the pie and place back in the oven for the remaining 10 minutes or until pie is set and topping is bubbly!