Cloth Diapering Mamas…I need YOU

To help me figure this thing out!

Okay so within the next 14 days (and hopefully sooner) I’m doing it, I’m making the switch! Why not sooner you ask? I’m waiting for my delivery of Rockin Green Detergent

But I still have a ton of questions and YES I’ve googled it but I want to hear it from all of you, and plus some of the things I find on google just aren’t helpful!

So I’m looking for some answers to these questions:

• 1.What Cloth Diapers do you Use?  and which are you favorite?
  • 2. I have a Bummis starter kit, does anyone have experience with them? Do you like them?
  • 3. How many times do you have to wash your diapers the first time around for max absorbency?
  • 4. To Diaper Spray or not to Diaper Spray?
  • 5. I have an HE front load washer…any advice/differences than regular washers?
  • 6. Be HONEST what’s the one thing you don’t like about Cloth Diapering
  • 7. Do you ever use disposables?
  • 8. Any useful advice for me?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions but figured I’d start with these…Thank you so much in advance! I know I’m NOT going to be able to do it without help from everyone…now if only you could do the washing!

Oops I did it again...
Top 3 Thursday

Comments

1. Bethsix says

I can speak to a couple of these!

1. We've tried a little bit of everything but love Fuzzi Bunz. (Bum Genius weren't around when we got started, so we've never tried those. And FB one-size weren't around when we started either, so no experience with those.)

3. I only do this with inserts/soakers, and we did it with CPFs when we tried those. I washed/dried about three times, I think.

4. I had a sprayer for awhile and didn't like it, but mine leaked, so we had to keep it turned off all the time, so I eventually stopped using it. I don't think a sprayer is essential at all.

6. Honestly, the only thing is people's reactions. It gets TIRING to hear people's CONSTANT surprise about your diapering choice. I mean, seriously, people, get a grip.

7. Long trips (long enough that we'd have to launder the diapers)

Hope this helps! 🙂

2. Jayme says

* 1.I prefer pockets. Fuzzi Bunz, BumGenius, etc.
    * 2. I've used Bummis covers, but covers and prefolds or fitteds aren't my favorite way to cloth diaper.
    * 3. I always just wash once.
    * 4. Spray. At least, once they start solids or formula spray. Before that, I'd run them on the rinse cycle first in the washer then wash.
    * 5. No clue, ours is old school.
    * 6. Spraying poop. Carrying around dirty diapers in a wet bag with you- takes up so much room in the diaper bag where with disposies you'd just chuck them.
    * 7. Yes, at night and when we're in Philly.
    * 8. I've been using cloth since Mia was about 6 months, and when she was a baby I owned a cloth diapering store… any questions you have, if I don't know I know where to find the answer LOL

3. Beccalynn says

I gradually switched from disposables to cloth. I only had 3 cloth diapers to start with so I just gradually bought them a little at a time and now I can't remember the last time I used a disposable.

I do use a diaper sprayer. Before I got one, I used the shower (but that was when her poop was only from breastmilk). I like the diaper sprayer a lot.

And spraying the poopy diapers is the worst part, I think but I don't mind it too much for all I gain from it!

How many times to wash depends upon the diaper. Hemp needs to be washed like 6 times, but other diapers only say once. Read the directions on the package.

And I used ALL kinds. Pocket one size diapers are my favorites. I also have prefolds fitteds, PUL covers and wool covers. I like having all the different kinds because you discover that you can use them for different occasions.

GOOD LUCK!!!

4. Little Miss Emmy Lou says

I have a variety of brands. I think it's best to start small. Buy one type (or two) see which one you like. Don't buy a whole bunch of one type. Every person and baby is different. For example, everyone LOVES fuzzibunz. I don't hate them, but they are NOT my favorite! I could tell you my faves but I really think you just need to try out some brands and decide which ones are easiest for you, and which ones fit your little man best!

5. Little Miss Emmy Lou says

And yes, I still use disposables. I used them for the whole weekend last weekend when my husband was out of town and I took my two boys by myself to my parents house! I couldn't handle packing all that extra fluff and then worrying about washing it too! And I also usually have them around the house for going to church (the volunteers in the nursery haven't figured cloth diapers out… haha).
    I hate dealing with the poops. I don't have a diaper sprayer, and I wish I did. It would make cleaning the poops easier.

6. Jill says

I'm new to cloth diapering, only been at it for 3 weeks.
    I have a mix of diapers–some prefolds, some all-in-ones, some fitteds. Hubby likes the fitteds with a cover. I like the prefolds with a cover. My favorite covers are the Bummis whisper wraps. We also have some Thirsties covers and AIO's and they just aren't big enough to fit around chunky thighs.
    I washed my prefolds 5 times and covers just 1 before the first use.
    Spray, no question about it!
    I use a regular washer so not sure about HE.
    The one thing I don't like about cloth diapering is not being able to just grab a diaper rash cream and slather it on if she needs it. We use california baby cream with the cloth but if she needs something a bit stronger we have to use sposies for a change or two.
    We use 2-3 sposies a day–either hubby changes her and puts one on or all my cloth is in the wash.

7. Amanda says

* 1.What Cloth Diapers do you Use? and which are you favorite? A: We have Bum Genius 3.0, Bum Genius Organic AIO, Fuzzi Bunz OS, Fuzzi Bunz Perfect Sized (like better than their OS) Nifty Nappy Fitteds, Smarti Pants, Rumparooz, Wahmy's, Tiny Tush OS. Our favorite, right now are the Nifty Nappy Fitteds, but they do require a cover and I'm not sure they'd be good for a little baby. Maybe once they're more mobile. I love the Rumparooz also! If I could start my stash over from the beginning I'd add as many of those as I did my Bum Genius when I started (about 12 LoL)

* 2. I have a Bummis starter kit, does anyone have experience with them? Do you like them? A: Sorry, no experience here! 🙁

* 3. How many times do you have to wash your diapers the first time around for max absorbency? A: Sadly to admit, unless the insert was Bamboo, I didn't wash before using them. But they do start to get their best absorbency after a few washes. We use each diaper we get right away! I think it's always a good test of how well it will work! 🙂

* 4. To Diaper Spray or not to Diaper Spray? A: I'm honestly up in the air on this one. We have a Diaper Sprayer now, but didn't have one in the beginning. We got it just recently. I could live with or without it! But if you're a person who can't stand poop then I'd say you'd be better off with it. Me I'm okay whatever. Poop doesn't bother me!

* 5. I have an HE front load washer…any advice/differences than regular washers? I know it's even less soap then a top loader…but I'm hoping to be buying a HE washer soon so I guess I'll have to find the answer to this one!

* 6. Be HONEST what's the one thing you don't like about Cloth Diapering. A: The only thing I don't like is the fact that we got urine build up in our microfiber inserts this winter and so they smelled every time she'd pee in them. It wasn't good. But thankfully a bunch a washes and some good time in the sun this spring and they are smelling fine!!!

* 7. Do you ever use disposables? A: Unfortunatly yes, but only because she goes to grandpa's house every other weekend and they are not so nice to my diapers out there. I've gotten poopy diapers back WEEKS after she was there! 🙁 Needless to say they were ruined! We also use them sometimes at home. When we were having urine buildup issues she had a blistery rash, so we used them then. I always have a package of them on hand..JUST in case!

* 8. Any useful advice for me? A: I just did a post on this not too long ago, so I'm going to just copy the link to you! I've already written a book! LOL http://jacastfamily.blogspot.com/2010/02/so-youre-just-starting-out.html

Good luck with your journey!!! If you're like the rest of us CD mama's it won't take long before you're addicted as are the rest of us! 🙂

8. skgaff says

1. I have a bunch of different cloth diapers that I use, but my absolute favorites are bumGenius Organic AIO One-Size. They are super-absorbent, come in snaps (my preference), and I've never had a problem with leaks.
    2. I've never used Bummis
    3. I would say it varies depending on the diaper. Cotton materials tend to need more initial washes to get to max absorbency than microfiber inserts do. I washed all mine 3 times initially. Some of the cotton material ones were still not at max absorbency at that point, but they still work, just have to change them a little more frequently until they are at max absorbency.
    4. I don't spray my diapers. Once on solid food I started using fleece liners (just bought yards of fleece at walmart and cut them into diaper sized pieces) and then dump the poop off them — if it's just too gross then I don't feel too terrible about throwing the liner away since it's only pennies to make them. I know lots of people LOVE their sprayers though.
    5. I don't have any experience with HE machines.
    6. Honestly, there are days when I'm just tired and don't feel like dealing with the laundry, or days when I'm having trouble with diaper stink and just don't want to deal with figuring out what's causing it. It's more work than disposables, but most of the time I don't even notice…it's just a way of life for us, so it doesn't seem like a lot (most of the time).
    7. We use disposables when we go on trips and also for some babysitters that just don't seem to get the cloth diapering and my 2 year old's daycare won't use cloth (and the occasional day that I describe above where I'm just not feeling like dealing with the cloth diapers — that way I don't burn myself out and get too discouraged about the cloth diapers).
    8. Lots of people have different ideas about how you should or shouldn't cloth diaper, detergents to use and not use, etc. It really seems to be different for everyone, so once you find what works for you, stick with it. Also, Stephanie at Abby's Lane (www.abbyslane.com) is sooo helpful about giving advice with washing routines. absorbency and other diapering issues. You should subscribe to her newsletter. She sends one out each week and has a section devoted to discussing different cloth diapering topics. I've found that really helpful.

9. Raising Z says

I am anxious to see how you do. I ordered two to start out with and I am soooo nervous. I ordered one Flip diaper with the organic cloth insert and one Bum genius pocket diaper. At this point I am playing around and feeling my way in 🙂